Privacy Notice for Events
GroupM runs various events, seminars and conferences from time to time to update, educate and provoke discussion amongst its clients, potential clients and industry bodies (“Events”). This privacy notice provides you with information about how GroupM uses your personal data when you register for and attend an Event run by GroupM.
How does this privacy notice relate to other privacy notices?
This privacy notice explains how we use your personal data in relation to your interest in, or attendance at, an Event run by GroupM. It supplements our Privacy Notice on our website, available here.
Registering for an Event
If you wish to attend one of our Events, please RSVP by responding to us using the contact details provided on the Event invite.
What personal data will be processed?
- If you register with an Event App and consent to share your information with us, GroupMwill receive the following information:
- Your first and last name, email, avatar image, phone number and any company information you’ve chosen to include in your Event App profile.
- The sessions you’ve added to your personalised schedule.
- The points of interest (speakers, vendors, etc.) you’ve added to your to-do list.
- Your general usage metrics (time in the guide, how many times you opened the guide, etc.)
- If you choose not to share your information but sign-in to an Event App account when accessing the guide, GroupMwill see your first and last name, email, avatar image,phone numberand any company information you’ve chosen to include in your Event App profile. Usage details will not be shared with GroupM.
- If you register for an Event with GroupMdirectly, the information you provide us will include:
- your title, name, and full postal, email address and or telephone number;
- your job title and role;
- any dietary requirements; and access needs.
- GroupM may photograph and film the Event which will be used to market our services and to promote future events. GroupM will therefore process your image. If you do not wish to be photographed or filmed at an Event, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org. Where possible, we will provide photo- and film-free zones for those who do not want their picture taken can sit.
- Records of communications sent to you by GroupMor that we receive from you in relation to an Event you will attend/have attended.
What is the purpose of processing?
GroupM will process your personal data for the following purposes:
- To reserve a place for you at the event(s) you requested to attend;
- To provide you with information about the event(s) for which you have registered, such as event updates, and possible changes, cancellation or similar information;
- For general administration and organisation of our events, for example to contact you with information about an event or conference that you’re exhibiting at, or attending as we need to use your details for planning and logistics, to invoice you, to provide you customer service in relation to the event, and general administration of your attendance at the event.
- To fulfil and monitor our legal responsibilities, for example, under public safety legislation;
- In accordance with your preferences, to communicate with you about other events, news, and services we provide (for example online webinars, education and/or other events);
- To ask you for your feedback or review after an Event you have attended;
- To pass on your contact details to our logistics partners to enhance your experience at an Event you have signed up to exhibit or sponsor at;
- To assess the activity of our attendees at our Events.
- To create a delegate list (which will include your name and company (not email or telephone number), which will be shared with an Exhibitor or Sponsor at the Event.
- To film and photograph the Event which will be used to market our services and to promote future events on our website, social media channels and in marketing materials.
- To improve our services, marketing, customer relationships and experiences;
- To plan better future events and attendee experience.
What is the legal basis of the processing?
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- To perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you.
- For our legitimate interests (for example, in order to manage and develop our business, study how customers use our products/services, to develop them, grow our business and inform our marketing strategy).
- Where we need to comply with a legal obligation.
Generally, we do not rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal data although we will get your consent before sending third party direct marketing communications to you via email or text message. You have the right to withdraw consent to marketing at any time by contacting us.
To the extent that you may provide us with personal data about yourself that is sensitive, for example relating to any disability, allergies or other dietary requirements that you have, we will process this information with your explicit consent, or if it is necessary:
- For the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims;
- Very occasionally, when it is needed to protect your or another person’s vital interests and you are not capable of giving your consent (for example, in an emergency).
Who will your personal data be shared with?
Within GroupM, your personal data is shared only with those departments and staff who need access for the processing purposes set out above.
We may share some of the information with external organisations providing services for the Event you are attending, in particular we may share your information (including dietary requirements) with catering service if you are attending an Event where catering is offered. The information shared will only be used to provide the service required and will not be retained by these external organisations after the Event is concluded.
How long is your personal data kept?
We will only retain your personal data for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, regulatory, tax, accounting or reporting requirements. We may retain your personal data for a longer period in the event of a compliant or if we reasonably believe there is a prospect of litigation in respect to our relationship with you.
Please refer to our Privacy Notice for further information.
If you consent to stay in touch with us, or subscribe to our newsletter, essential information to communicate with you will be kept until you withdraw your consent or unsubscribe to specific communication as explained in our Privacy Notice.
Third Party Apps
Guidebook operates in the USA and subscribes to the EU-US Privacy Shield, which commits subscribers to adhering to European standards of data protection. For further details, please see:
Your rights in relation to your data
Details about your rights are set out in our Privacy Notice under the heading ‘Data Subject Rights of individuals in the EEA and Switzerland’.
Our Privacy Notice also explains how to ask any questions you may have about how your personal data is used, exercise any of your rights or complain about the way your data is being handled.
Questions, comments and requests regarding this privacy notice are welcomed and should be addressed to our DPO at DPO@GroupM.com.